Gonna learn Java (Slick2D) - Which game should I program?

Gonna learn Java (Slick2D) - Which game should I program?

Postby Repgahroll » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 am

Hello there.

I give up, I can't keep from learning java any longer, I know oracle changed the license, blah, blah, blah; but as long as the virtual machine is licensed under GPL and there's an alternative way to program on it, something stupid like requiring the user to pay to run a game will never happen (correct me if i'm wrong please).

So I'm gonna add another programming language to my résumé and begin to learn it :).

I already know C# (what a waste of time!) so I feel very comfortable looking at some simple examples, and could understand everything right away.

I don't want to begin with the tutorials, so, which game should i program? It has to be something simple. I'm gonna use the Slick2D which seems a good library, but you can recommend me another one.

Cheers :)

PS: I have a question... the "official" virtual machine (hotspot) is licensed under the GPL, right? It's the machine provided in sun-java-bin package for linux distros. So what is the virtual machine provided with OpenJDK? On my linux install i can run things using both the official vm and the openjdk, and there's a performance difference in some cases... The openJDK website is confusing. Thanks.
Repgahroll
Cube for brains

Re: Gonna learn Java (Slick2D) - Which game should I program

Postby bartwe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:52 am

A block physics game ?

I'm not sure what is going on with the licensing, i think i read that the openjdk is open and that the sunjdk is going to using code from the openjdk.
bartwe
Site Admin

Re: Gonna learn Java (Slick2D) - Which game should I program

Postby Repgahroll » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm

Yeah. A block physics game would be nice. JBox2D seems awesome :).

I'm gonna solve my doubts on licensing and java future first though. Things seems too obscure imho, don't know which vm openjdk and sunjdk have, don't know the licensing, etc. On openjdk site they say it's for windows also, but it's impossible to find any download for windows there. I'm sniffing trickery. Also, the opensource projects are maintained by oracle. Lack of information, enterprises maintaining libre competition, nonsense, obscurity, all these things make me fear. :) I don't like to be stabbed in the back, and i don't trust on oracle. I was ok with Sun, but oracle is corrupt and mercenary.
Repgahroll
Cube for brains

Return to Non Cuberealms Related Randomness